John Warrillow, the author of one of my favorite books, Built to Sell. In addition to being a best-selling author of Built to Sell and The Automatic Customer, John has started and exited 4 companies. As founder of The Value Builder System™, his mission is to level the playing field for business owners as they approach their exit. Over 47,000 business owners have taken the Value Builder Questionnaire with the support of accountants who champion the system as Certified Value Builders™ across the globe. Owners are statistically-proven to improve company value by up to 71% through the system. He is one of the foremost experts on B2B marketing for small businesses, helping business owners improve the value of their company for over 20 years.
In this episode, we talk about keeping your business specialized, why recurring revenue adds value to your business, getting your business ready to sell, how you can value your own business, and more!
- The evolution of the Built to Sell story
- The importance of recurring revenue
- When you should specialize
- TVR – teachable, valuable, repeatable
- The difference between revenue and actual value of a business
- 5 Step Logo Design Process and differentiating your business
- Structuring a business to thrive without the owner
- Manufacturing the urgency of building an instruction manual
- When you should start documenting processes
- The timeline for getting your business ready to sell
- Thinking through the lens of an acquirer putting your money and time where they find value
- Putting a dollar value on your business
- The first step to creating a sellable asset and figuring out your unique asset