In this episode, I'm talking with Dr. Steve Yacovelli or what he calls himself the 'Gay Leadership Dude'. This episode is all about creating a sense of belonging for your employees. How can companies build the best environment, the best culture, the best workplace, one that people feel like they belong, and that has this authentic sense of inclusivity.
Dr. Steve Yacovelli is a speaker, author, and the owner and principal of TopDog Learning Group. They have nearly 30 years of consultant experience in leadership, change management, diversity, inclusion, and his book, Pride Leadership is one of the first to focus on developing leadership talent, specifically for the LGBTQ+ community and its allies.
We cover topics ranging from corporate rainbow washing, how to avoid performative allyship, navigating inclusive language, employee resource groups, and more. There are so many practical tips from this conversation, like Dr. Steve's framework for building a consciously inclusive culture. Think in, speak up, and act out. Creating an inclusive workplace requires listening, empathy, taking action, and this episode has the insight for you to make it all happen. Take a listen!
- What is corporate rainbow washing? (2:35)
- Creating an inclusive culture 365 days out of the year. (5:22)
- The importance of displaying your pronouns and using inclusive language. (7:35)
- Think In, Speak Up, Act Out. (10:35)
- Employee resource groups. (16:11)
- When employees feel a sense of belonging, they stay at your company. (19:50)
- How to audit inclusivity in your company culture. (27:00)
- What the Pride Leadership book is about. (31:54)